Friday, August 13, 2021

Let’s Talk Gardening! Yarding 2021


 I never knew 
That I would love Gardening this much! 


I didn’t even think 

I would enjoy mowing a lawn-

Not that we have a lawn… anymore 

I could barely keep 

A houseplant alive!

That was then & this is now.

Knowing what little I know now about plants

Soil

Trees

Carbon capture 

And now being in charge of a small plot of land

I want to be as responsible as possible 

As well as catering to my personal tastes 

And make something lush

And self sustaining for whoever 

Comes along to enjoy this wee corner 

Of the world next…

When we first moved here 

There weren’t any signs of animals 

Although the neighbors said there were

Deer 

Moose

Bears

Etc…

We weren’t being visited by anything 

I kept hoping for at least a squirrel 

The second year 

We started seeing squirrels 

And more 

As the years went

With help from our bird feeders

Then learning about pollinators and plants

I tried going to the garden center 

And with very little knowledge or guidance 

I picked out some pretty plants and popped them in the ground


Not knowing growing zones or the 

Ins and outs of

light requirements 

***

None of those plants survived 

And the first couple of years not much happened

Except for the bittersweet that was here

Which we are still battling 

***

Third year as I was watching as things were springing up 

We had a patch of daffodils 

Why after two years they came up 

I don’t know 

Maybe freeing up the space from bittersweet 

Helped somehow?


And so my research began 

I was looking up info 

About other bulb types plants

Like tulips

And stumbled across YouTube channels 

That were taking the mystery out of it all for me

It was all starting to make sense 


And then of course 

Beginning to learn about permaculture 

And essentially helping nature be abundant 

On its own

And be

Whatever it wants

While getting out of its way

And capture carbon while we’re at it


So…

Two years ago I brought in hundreds

 of different types of plants

And shrubs 

And a huge amount of them are actually still out there 

And thriving!

Progress!!!


And the generosity of friends 

Sharing plants that they’d divided

And gifted me like:

Bee Balm

Day Lilies 

Wisteria 

Persicaria Lance Corporal

Rose of Charon

Daisies 

Lilac 

Hostas

Solomon’s Seal

These

Have added to the lasting excitement 

And brought so much enjoyment 


And now we have an amazing array of volunteer plants: 

Wild Roses

Queen Anne’s Lace

Black Eyed Susans

Persicarias

Raspberries 

Meadowsweet 

Creeping Charlie 

Wild Violets 

Goldenrod 

Jewel Weed

Tall Phlox 

Milk Weed

Serviceberries 

Wild Cherry

To name a few lol





I try to just get out of the way

And let nature plant itself 

Of course taking out anything that’s 

Invasive or poisonous 

Since we stopped mowing our grass

Leaving only a path in the frontage and a small eating area

In the back

We’ve been slowly reseeding any thin patches with clover 

To hopefully eliminate the need for constant upkeep 

In the summer months 

And the clover is making the pollinators happy 

And helps balance 

Nitrogen levels in the soil…

The front path 

Has only been mowed twice this summer 

So happy that the once a week hour in the heat and bugs

Can now be used for enjoyment or other projects 

***

Speaking of other projects 

We had our friends from ArborClimb 

Come out to help us knock back our canopy 

By one notch… this ended up being 

72 trees 


And we seriously still have so many trees!

Some were sick and dead

Some were over 100 feet tall 

And within 25 feet from the house

And we still have 

More than we can count 

That are dead-standing 

60ft tall

That we will be chipping away at…

Until that’s done…

We now have enough sun 

That plants that had never bloomed 

Are now living their best life 

***

And I’m trying 

To get a good sunny spot for seed starting 

Should be much easier 

And I need easier because I’m still 

Very inexperienced 

As a gardener  

Any help I can get!

***

It was an easy choice 

To go with a tree removal company 

That would take the logs for lumber 

And

Leave us the wood chips

 To help get rid of 

The lumps and bumps 

In our landscape 

And 

Squelch out the bittersweet

 In enough depth to Keep it from thriving 


                                  Future garage idea… ???







I’m so thrilled 
That so many native plants have been moving in!




                                              Lookit!
                               So much Queen Anne’s Lace!


                                       Oh and Hello đŸ‘‹ 

Kk that’s it! Doing this all from my phone and now my eyes are super tired lol what’s growing in your garden? 



No comments:

Post a Comment